G Suite provides the option of turning on two-step verification for your user accounts. This provides an extra layer of security to your user's data by having them authenticate with a verification code as well as their password. (mt) Media Temple recommends that you enable this option to make your accounts more secure. The instructions below will lead you through enabling two-step verification as well as enforcing it's use for your G Suite service.
Enabling Two-Step Verification
These steps will guide you through enabling the option of using two-step verification for your G Suite account users. This allows your users to choose to use the feature if they wish. It does not make two-step verification mandatory for your users.
If you wish to make it mandatory for your users to use two-step authentication, please continue on to the enforcing two-step verification instructions once the two-step verification option is enabled.
- Log into your G Suite Admin Console.
- From the dashboard, select Security.
- Next, click on Basic Settings.
- Scroll down to the Two-Step Verification setting and tick the checkbox to Allow users to turn on 2-step verification. This will enable the ability for the account user to utilize two-step authentication if they choose.
- Click on the Save changes button that appears.
Enforcing Two-Step Verification
These steps will guide you through enforcing two-step verification for your G Suite account users. This will make it mandatory for your users to use two-step verification when signing in.
- Once you've completed the steps above, you will now see a link at the bottom of the two-step verification settings that says Go to advanced settings to enforce 2-step verification. Click the link to continue.
- You will now find yourself in the advanced security settings panel. Here, you can select Turn on enforcement now.
- Once selected, you will receive a notification window that reminds you that enabling this setting will force all users to use two-step verification.. Click on OK to continue.
- Finally, click the Save changes button at the bottom left of your browser window to finalize the selection of two-step verification.