Changing your root password is simple. It's important that this password be as strong as possible. Please also note that Media Temple recommends that your root password not be one that is in use elsewhere.
- Log into your Media Temple account.
- Select the blue ADMIN button associated to your VPS server.
- Next to your server, select Actions > View.
- Select Settings.
- Next to Login credentials, select Manage.
- Type your new password in the appropriate fields. Be sure to use a strong password. Then select Save.
When logging into WHM/cPanel, use the username, "root", instead of your custom username.
Before you start, be sure to have these login credentials handy:
Watch this video to learn how to set or reset your cPanel password.Via WHM
1. Log into WHM. You should be on the management screen.
2. Select the Server Configuration panel.
3. Select the Change Root Password panel.
4. Create a strong password. It is extremely important that your root password is not one that you are using for anything else, as it controls access to all cPanel features.
1. Open a terminal and log into SSH as the root user. You should type either "ssh email@example.com" or "ssh firstname.lastname@example.org". You may receive something similar to this: "The authenticity of host '12.34.567.890 (12.34.567.890)' can't be established. RSA key fingerprint is.... Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?" This is ok. Simply type 'yes' and hit enter.
2. Type the 'passwd' command.
3. Create a new strong password and confirm it.