Plesk is an ever-evolving platform that makes server management easy for anyone. Plesk Onyx (17.0) represents a significant leap forward in functionality and user friendliness. Media Temple is happy to announce that all newly provisioned VPS' with Plesk will have Onyx as of 10/18/16. Existing customers have the option to upgrade through the Plesk upgrade utility.
Due to Plesk Onyx not being compatible with CentOS 5, the latest version of Plesk available to DV 4.0 customers is Plesk 12.5. If you are currently on a DV 4.0 and would like to take advantage of Plesk Onyx, please contact Media Temple's award winning 24/7 support team to discuss your options.
Plesk has many new features that you are likely to find useful. For a complete list of changes in Plesk Onyx (including deprecated features) please see the official Plesk documentation.
- Git Support - Git is a very popular source code management system used by millions of developers.
- Docker Support - Docker is the premier container system for running distributed apps. Media Temple currently only supports the use of remote docker nodes.
- System Updates - Update your OS from the Plesk control panel. You're no longer required to connect to your server via SSH and use package managers like yum and apt-get to install critical updates.
- Updated Log Browser - Quickly control and browse logs with the updated tool found in the Plesk control panel.
- System Resource Usage Limits - It's now possible to control the resources available to service plans and subscriptions.
- DNSSEC Support - "DNSSEC is the extension of the DNS protocol that allows signing of DNS data in order to secure the domain name resolving process."
- SSL Improvements - From Plesk's documentation:
- Customers can now force HTTPS connections to websites hosted in Plesk.
- Connections to the Plesk mail server can now be secured with SSL/TLS.
- Connections to the Plesk webmail can now be secured with SSL/TLS.
- Ruby Support - Ruby is a web development language with full featured frameworks.
- Plesk Multi Server Support - "Plesk Multi Server is a Plesk-based solution for distributed shared hosting."
- DKIM and SRS Support - "DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) "provides a method for validating a domain name identity that is associated with a message through cryptographic authentication" (www.dkim.org)."
- Nginx Only Website Hosting Options - Your sites may now use Nginx as the sole web server.
Important information about CBM (Customer and Business Manager)
Plesk Onyx does not support CBM, and future versions will not integrate it. From Plesk's official documentation:
Why? Customer and Business Manager is now owned, maintained and supported by Odin (subsidiary of Ingram Micro), so we are removing it from Plesk Onyx distribution. Since the product belongs to a different entity, we are also dropping its support.
What to do? New installations of Plesk Onyx do not include CBM as a part of their distribution and are not manageable with CBM. If you have a remote CBM instance used for managing multiple Plesk servers, we cannot guarantee that it will be able to manage Plesk Onyx. If you were using CBM, we recommend to switch to a different billing and provisioning system.
- Note: Upgrade to Plesk Onyx in unattended mode will be blocked if you have any customer account(s) in CBM. The only way to complete upgrade in unattended mode is to uninstall CBM or perform upgrade in the interactive mode.
Important: If you upgrade to Plesk Onyx without uninstalling CBM, CBM will stop working.
We hope you enjoy managing your Media Temple VPS with Plesk Onyx. As always, if you have any questions or would like assistance, please contact our award winning 24/7 support team.