This article shows you how to use the Plesk Migrator Extension to migrate site information to your Media Temple VPS with Plesk. The migrator extension allows you to quickly pull site data from hosting services that are managed using Plesk, cPanel, or Confixx. It can be installed using the Plesk Installer or via the Plesk Extensions catalog.
- Official Plesk migration documentation
Note: Prior to 12.5, Plesk utilized the Plesk Migration Manager (PMM). If you are migrating from an earlier version of Plesk and would like to use the PMM, please see this article.
There are a few things you will need before you can migrate to your new VPS:
- A domain name or IP address that resolves to your old server.
- The root password for your old server. If you are migrating from another Media Temple VPS, see Enable root access.
- A shared IP (as opposed to exclusive) available on your new server. See Shared and exclusive IPs in Plesk for details.
- Your IP address should also be set to shared on the old server.
- You must have a new IP address on your new server. You cannot use the same IP(s) that you had previously.
CloudTech Can Help!
Media Temple offers site migrations via CloudTech, our premium services division. To learn more, please click here.
Begin by installing the extension through either the Plesk Installer or Plesk Extensions Catalogue.
1. Log in to the Plesk control panel and locate Extensions in the menu on the left side of the screen.
2. Open the extensions catalogue and click the install icon next to Plesk Migrator.
3. Once installed, open the migrator extension and click Start New Migration. You should now see the New Migration form.
- Panel Type: Select the service that you'll be migrating from. When migrating between Plesk services, the migration will fail if the receiving server's version of Plesk is lower than the host server.
- Address: This is the ip address of the server that you'll be migrating from. Remember that the ip address must be set to shared or the migration will fail.
- Root Login: In most cases this will simply be "root". For migrations from other Media Temple services, make sure that root login is enabled.
- Authorization: Choose either root login or SSH keys. If you choose to use SSH keys to migrate, make sure that you know where the keys are located on the target server. /root/.ssh/id_rsa is the default location.
- Root Password: The root password to your server. For Plesk users, remember that your root password and Plesk panel password should be different. When migrating from other Media Temple services, verify that root access has been enabled or the migration will fail.
- SSH Port: The default SSH port is 22, but it is often changed for security purposes. Your SSH port number is located in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
- Temp Directory: Location that temporary files will be stored during the migration.
4. Once you've filled out the migration form, click Prepare migration. Plesk will now verify that it's able to connect to the remote host and that the setup is compatible with a migration.
5. Once Plesk verifies your settings, click Start Migration. Depending on the amount of data being migrated, this process may take several minutes.
6. Once the migration completes, you will be able to access and verify your site data. This is also when you should point your DNS to Media Temple.
If you have any questions or issues, please contact Media Temple's award winning 24/7 support.